Did you know that the box of baking soda you have in your kitchen can also be used for laundry? Yes, you read it right. It is an effective and inexpensive way to get rid of stains, odors, and boost bleach and detergent performance. Now you must be thinking about how to use baking soda in the laundry?
Baking soda is a natural cleanser and deodorizer. It can make your white clothes whiter and the colored one brighter. It softens the water, which allows you to get good laundry results using less detergent.
Here is an article with amazing and effective uses of baking soda in the laundry.
Effective Uses of Baking Soda in Laundry
Baking soda is technically known by the name of sodium bicarbonate. It is similar to washing soda and can be used for the same purpose in the laundry.
It is an alkaline powder that increases the pH level of water when added to it. In addition to this, it is a mild antiseptic that reduces the growth of bacteria.
Your clothes can get acid spills and stains from different sources like vomit, urine, battery acid, toilet bowl cleaner, or durian cleaner. So how to get rid of these stains?
- To clean the stains, all you need to do is rinse the acid spills quickly and then sprinkle baking soda on your cloth. It will help in preventing the damage.
In case the acid is already dried, you can neutralize it using baking soda. It will help in preventing further damage to the cloth and machine while washing.
Brightens White and Bright Colors
If you think that your white shirt is losing its brightness or your colored dress is looking dull, then baking soda is the perfect solution for you.
- In order to make your white and bright colored clothes more bright, add ½ cup of baking to your regular liquid detergent.
It will provide you adequate laundry results by making your whites sharper and brights brighter.
If you are looking for an effective solution to soften fabrics, then give a try to baking soda.
- Add ½ cup of baking soda to the clothes rinse cycles.
Commercial fabric softeners contain various chemicals and might not suit people who have chemical sensitivities. In this case, baking soda is all you need. It is gentle and is perfect for household members with skin sensitivities.
Baking soda is a natural softener and an environment-friendly option. It is less harsh on the environment as compared to the synthetic fabric softeners. It is the right choice for skin allergies and sensitive skin.
Brightens Old Linens
Brightening old linen is another amazing use of baking soda in the laundry. It is highly effective in removing stains from old linens. As it is a natural cleaner and is not harsh on clothes, you can trust it to whiten and brighten your old linens.
Regular detergents are usually harsh and can cause damage to your linens. Now you must be thinking how much baking soda should be used in laundry? You have to wash the linen with only baking and do not have to add any detergent.
- In case your linens have any spots, make a paste of baking soda and water.
- Apply it on the stain and rub it for a few minutes.
- It will help in removing the stains and brightening the old linens.
Body odor on our clothes is caused by bacteria. These bacteria are removed when detergent molecules break and flush them away.
Nevertheless, less expensive detergents that lack hard-working enzymes can not do the job effectively. So what to do in this case?
- In order to get rid of odors on cloth, add ½ cup of baking soda to the clothes rinse cycle. It will not only remove odor from the clothes but will also soften them.
- If your clothes have the smell of smoke or sweat, then soak them in a solution of baking overnight. Soaking in baking soda helps in getting rid of the bad odor.
If the water supply in your region has a high mineral content, you might face issues in getting adequate laundry results. But you do not have to worry anymore. Using baking soda can help in softening the water.
Moreover, it will help in preventing the dinginess in clothes caused due to hard water.
- In order to soften water, add ¼ box of baking soda to a load of laundry. In case you have a water softener, then you do not need to use baking soda.
Removes Crayon Stains
If you accidentally get crayon stains on your clothes, you can get rid of them using baking soda. For this:
- Wash your clothes in hot water and add ½ box of baking soda to the load.
Baking soda is a perfect solution to get rid of almost all types of stains.
Boosts Detergent Performance
If you think you are not getting adequate laundry results from your detergent, add baking soda. Boosting the performance of detergent is another amazing use of baking soda in the laundry.
- Add ½ cup of baking soda to the detergent. If you have a hard water supply, then it will provide you with better laundry results.
Dry baking soda should be placed in an empty washer tube before adding the laundry. Do not put baking soda in the automatic dispenser of the washer.
Cleans the Washing Machine
You can clean your washing machine by making a paste of baking soda and water. Use the paste to wash your machine.
- Apply the paste on a clean cloth and then scrub the machine using it.
- Rinse with the water, and your machine is clean.
You can use the same paste to remove the stains present on the washing machine’s outside surface.
Baking soda can be used as a gentle abrasive. To get rid of the built-up scorch or starch deposits present on the faceplate of a cool iron, you can use baking soda.
- Make a paste of baking soda and water.
- Rub it on the iron’s surface using white cloth.
In the case of tough buildup, repeat the process until it is removed.
Final Words by Fix The Life
Baking soda is one perfect solution for all your laundry issues. It can soften water, remove stains, and can even help in getting rid of odors in clothes. It is a natural cleanser which makes it an environment-friendly option. Now that you know the uses of baking soda in the laundry use it to get better laundry results. If you find the above-mentioned information helpful, drop a comment.